Sunday, August 9, 2009

Week 6, #15

After reading some of the links about Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries, it occurred to me that many of the phrases I wrote down are just plain good library policies and good library philosophy. Examples: "eliminate barriers that exist between patrons and the information they need" (Rick Anderson), "make libraries relevant" (Sarah Houghton), "user participation" (John Blyberg). The Wikipedia article about Library 2.0 says "constant change", "meet users in their space" and make the library "user-centric". I believe that most of us strive to do these things everyday, but now with 2.0 tools, we can participate with our users in new ways. I am happy to learn about all of these tools and yet am slightly overwhelmed. I realize as I learn more that I don't need to master each and every one of these things, but instead I need to reflect carefully and incorporate what tools I find relevant to my population. So far, several of the tools have excited me, most recently Rollyo and Del.icio.us. I am happy to know how to find blogs more efficiently with Technorati. I need to take one step at a time, work with my team, and think about what services can be improved and what new things to add to enhance student learning.

1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

You are learning all sorts of new things and will be a wealth of information and cool tools when you return to school.

Did I tell you that I realy like how you created an avatar without a background -- it provides total focus on the avatar. Nice!

Best wishes.